Re: Back-up lights

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>, MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Back-up lights
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 20:51:28 -0400
> You've been duped.  MGAs never had backup lights, and there is no reverse
> switch in the gearbox to accomodate them.  Easy enough to add a toggle
> switch somewhere and wire them up yourself.  Just don't forget to turn them
> off when not in use.
>
> Barney Gaylord
> 1958 MGA with an attitude

  Nah! Not duped....just curious.  I knew that MGAs had no backup lights, but,
hey, you never know. This MGA is 38 years old, and (bless its big heart) it's
had a lot of abuse and modifications over the years, from what I can tell from
the restoration pictures that the PO provided.  I do have some history on it,
but nothing about where those lamps came from.  I expect that when the original
project began, the only way to keep the rear bumper intact (original, by the
way) and to hide the holes was to leave the lamps.  I removed one, and if I can
figure out how to get the little sucker open, I'll provision it with the wiring
to use with a toggle.  They are kinda neat looking.  I'll keep y'all posted.

Michael Ohleger
67 MGB
70 MGB
60 MGA