RE: Front axle problem...?

To: dresden@tiac.net, "Mgs List Team. Net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: Front axle problem...?
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:22:02 -0700
No amount of beating, chiseling, grinding, heating, or twisting would loosen the
bearing......

Some of you may remember I spun the outside wheel bearing on my swivel axle.
The problem was compounded because I have a wire wheel car.  The wire wheel hub
is quite deep and the bearing is way down inside the hub.  As a result it is
very difficult to get to the bearing.

I had many helpful comments, all of which I tried, and I thank you all for your
help.

The bottom line is this, it effected my bottom line!  I purchased a new hub and
wheel bearings and installed them on a spare swivel axle (everyone ought to part
out at least one car).  Of course the spare axle needed king pins so I bought
them also.

Once it was apparent that my car was going to be running with the spare parts
and new parts, I attacked the hub/bearing problem again.  This attack was very
destructive and little was saved.  It did reveal that the inside race of the
outside bearing had spun and "welded" itself to the axle.  The axle is pretty
much junk; and the hub, after I "attacked" it, is definitely junk.

My observations are these:

Don't drive on a "squeaky" bearing.  No matter how far out in the boon docks you
are, or how "pressed" for time you are.

Wait for a tow truck (and if the driver is as good as David, tip him/her)

Had I done this I would have replaced about $10.00 worth of bearings and seals
and the repair would have been an hour or so.  Instead of $150, a whole day of
repairs, and 5 days of down time.

Larry "live and learn" Hoy, Denver, CO. USA
http://home.cwix.com/~larryhoy@cwix.com
1967 MGB Roadster, Vintage Racer
1969 MGB Roadster, Driver
1970 MGB Roadster, Fixer upper
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, for the wife
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"