RE: Lucas Sport Coil (was: Early Wiper Arm Removal)

To: Nory@webtv.net
Subject: RE: Lucas Sport Coil (was: Early Wiper Arm Removal)
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:49:04 -0800
Nory:

        I just about got beaten to the punch.  Very briefly, early (pre
72) MG's used a coil (DLB101) that ran happily on full operating voltage
(9-15 volts).  From approx 72 on to meet the emmission cycle
requirements they went with a lower voltage coil (DLB102) that under
cranking conditions received full battery voltage.  Under running
conditions the coil was powered through a resistive wire. (Note, not a
ballast resistor).  Many American cars have been using this system for
years.  It allows a hotter spark under cranking conditions when the
battery's voltage is drawn down by the load of the starter motor.

        The important thing is that the Lucas Sports Coil is designed to
replace the DLB101 12 volt coil in an unballasted system only.  If you
are using the DLB105 sport coil in a vehicle newer than 72 you must
bypass the resistive wire.  If not the coil will not be delivering to
it's full potential.

        Lucas does not (as far as I can tell) offer a high performance
coil for a ballasted system.

Hope this answers any questions.

Kelvin.