Re: Fuel Consumption

To: Lawrie Alexander <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Consumption
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 16:40:26 -0500
Lawrie Alexander wrote:

> Bill.....Do me a favor and re-read the last bit of John's article. Surely he
> must have said the fuel consumption with a Z-S would be higher, not the fuel
> mileage?

Lawrie,

Nope, he very clearly indicated that the mileage would be higher.  I'll
quote:  "Expect 25 mpg in all MGs, but Strombergs, in the right
circumstance, can give much greater figures.  If the figures are low,
ensure a good tune - and change the carb needles and jets."

> In our experience, the early Bs (63 to 67) are the best, the smog-equipped
> SU-carburetted cars a couple of mpg lower than that, then the Z-S cars
> (which I forgot about when I posted my earlier response to Eric) are, in a
> word, disappointing in terms of both performance and fuel consumption!
>
> Lawrie

I have no basis upon which to make a comparison - can only report my
results with a '69 that has been de-smogged and the engine in top
condition.  On club outings, in a caravan mode (which is usually pretty
slow) I have been in the lows 30s, consistently.  I would tend to
support your conclusions, and I will certainly defer to others who have
experience with the single ZS carb.

Bill