Oil pressure relief valve (again)

Subject: Oil pressure relief valve (again)
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 20:54:26 -0600
I'm back after a few months off the list.  If you remember from this
summer, my oil pressure relief valve got stuck in the block.  I had to
remove the engine and drill into the valve and pry it out with a
crowbar.

Well now it's stuck again.  I'm afraid the bore in the block is messed
up, like like it's scored or widened.  One day I was driving the B (76)
to school and taking off from a red light.  Then the pressure, instead
of relieving itself at 75psi, shot to about 100 when I took off, and
stayed there at any rpms above 1500.  I put put-ed home after class that
day (2000rpms in 4th, about 80psi) and the car hasn't moved since.

So I'm faced with a problem.  I'm going to pull the engine again next
week when I get the car trailered home.  Is there any way I can get an
oversized valve made, and have that part of my block bored?

This engine ran incredibly well both before the valve failed the first
time, and after I reassembled the engine.  Great compression, and great
oil pressure.  I don't really want to take the engine from my 74.5 GT
unless I have to, and I don't want to have to buy a used block.  When I
took the head off of this one, there were no ridges at the tops of the
pistons, and very little wear on the bearings.

Any help is appreciated.  I start working on the car Wednesday.  Thanks!

--
Tyson Sherman
mts3@ra.msstate.edu