SU Carbs

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SU Carbs
From: Chris Chandler <spawn@net-link.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 07:25:18 -0700
I'm back again in need of counseling!  <BG>

I was out driving last night after adjusting the rocker/pushrod
clearances, and all was well for a bit.  Afeter the car warmed up
however, it ran very poorly.  It wouldn't run well unless the choke was
all the way out, which would seem to me to indicate a very lean mix.

So when I got home I let her cool off some and pulled the plugs.  The
first three were black as could be and #4 looked brownm like it should.
I always thought that a black plug indicated a rich condition.

The upshot is now I'm very confused!  (Like I wasn't before, eh?)

I went ahead anyway and removed the carbs for a closer look.  As I was
examining them, I noticed that the throttle shaft (is that the correct
term???) has about 1/16" to 1/8" inch of side to side play in it.  Is
this normal (which I doubt), or is it worn (which I could easily
believe)?

If the shaft or bushing is worn, is it possible to replace one or the
other? How difficult is it?

Secondly, how does one check the vacuum advance to make sure it is
working properly?

Thanks again for all the help this far!
--
Chris
'72 B Roadster (Too many pieces to count)