Springtime Tune-up

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Springtime Tune-up
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 16:54:38 -0800
Ok, it's not Spring, but my car is in need of a tune-up.  It is a '69 MGB
with mostly standard stuff: it has Allison electronic ignition, no smog
stuff (air injectors and air pump are gone, but gulp valve is present).  I
fitted a cast aluminium rocker box cover, a 190deg thermostat, but have left
everything else alone.  I fitted a new distributor cap, new rotor, new spark
leads and new air filters, but the time has come to revisit all of these
items and generally overhaul the engine as much as I can without removing it
from the car (it is my daily driver).

1) I intend to buy the SU carb kit from Mo$$.  About $80, with enough
genuine SU bits to do both carbs.  When I clean and inspect the carbs I
expect to see an air leak around the throttle shafts, and I'll be sad.  I
also plan to solder the poppet valves shut.

2) I need a new exhaust system.  Any recommendations?  Cheap is good.
Stainless steel for durability is not necessary as the car is in California.

3) I have ordered the Burgess book 'How to Power-tune MGB 4 cylinder
engines', not because I am setting out to power-tune my car, but since I
have a lot to do to it (because nothing has been done) I'd like to get the
best bang for my buck.

So, I don't want a street-rod, but I would like to get better than
sputtering, stalling, low power performance from my B.

Advice is sought and appreciated.

Andy