Re: Springtime Tune-up

To: eaz@snet.net
Subject: Re: Springtime Tune-up
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 22:28:19 EST
On Thu, 07 Jan 1999 08:18:20 -0800 Eric Zambori <eaz@snet.net> writes:

>I also considered removing the spring loaded valves from the original
>butterfly valves and soldering the exposed hole shut.  I did this and
>it
>came out OK but I read somewhere that a carb backfire could melt the
>solder on these valves and I've been reluctant to install them.

Eric,
 I've had the the throttle disc holes on both the HIF-4's on the GT and
the HS-2's on the Midget soldered closed for more years than I will admit
to. Never had a problem with backfireing.
 I too have heard the same old wives tale,and thinking about it, it
doesn't make a lot of sense.
 A backfire through the carbs, even if it ignites the mixture in the port
and carb, is literally a "flash in the pan" The heat, while
instantanously, is high enough to theoretically melt the solder, the
duration of that heat is woefully defecient.  If you've ever tried to
solder the discs, you'll understand how long it takes to get the disc hot
enough to apply the solder. MUCH MUCH longer than a backfire.
 Heck if back fire was a problem in that regard, it should at the least
do some damage to the disc and needle of the carb!

Bottom line. Solder the disc holes, smooth them down, and enjoy.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget