RE: Springtime Tune-up

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Springtime Tune-up
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:45:36 -0800
Hi,

> >>expect to see an air leak around the throttle shafts, and I'll
> be sad.  I
> >>also plan to solder the poppet valves shut.
>
>       When I took my carbs off (HIF4s) earlier this week, I found
> the rear valve
> soldered shut and the front one standard (present and functioning).  I was
> going to ask the list but forgot until this discussion jogged my memory:
>
>       Why would you do this?

Well, as someone pointed out, why bother: just put new discs in from an
earlier model, since I'll have everything apart.

The reason for me to do it is because their springiness has gone and they
hang open at idle, letting air in when the throttle disc should be closing
the throat.  Not only that but they kind of flutter, which leads to a rough,
irregular effect on the idle speed.

>       Also, why would someone (I assume it wasn't the DPO, was
> it, Mike ? :)
> hehe ) only do it to one carb?

No idea.  Maybe never got round to finishing the job.

>       Further, is this what made it hard to balance my carbs at idle?

Could be.

>       I was going to replace the soldered valve, but maybe I
> should be doing
> some soldering on the front one instead.  Pros/cons, anyone?

Well, you can solder them shut without disassembling them.  If the springs
are weak then you should solder them or replace both of them with new discs
with working valves.

Andy
(dreading his first look at the carbs when they come off...)