Re: Long drive

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Long drive
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 22:26:17 +0000
Firstly, thanks to all who have and are replying to my call for info and
advice before my long drive in a few weeks time.  I really just need my
confidence boosted a bit.  I will try to reply or comment on most
replies, but I know I won't get to all of them!

MSLishego wrote:

> Erik sez:
>
> > Had the alternator rebuilt; got new tyres;

<yadda...yadda...yadda...snip>

> Sounds like a good bit of planning and work you've done.  My only
> advice is this:  Finish everything you plan to fix at least three or
> four days before the trip.  This way, you can drive the car around
> your town and see how it's going to act.  If something isn't right,
> you won't have far to go to fix it.

Yep.. good advice and am doing so.

> As for spares, here's what I carry - Some lengths of fuel, vacuum,
> and radiator hose; some extra wire; an extra box of assorted fuses;
> a spare relay; two spare fan belts; my wiper spares; two spare
> knockoffs; enough oil for an impromptu oil change (5 quarts); some
> bottled water; brake fluid; and washer fluid.

A couple of things I hadn't thought of there... why two knock-offs?  I
am hoping they don't fall off on long drives :-)  The tool kit was
impressive too.  Certainly a bit of ballast to keep the back-end down!

> Unless you have reason to worry about the car, don't.  You've got to
> be 100% convinced of her ability to make it or you'll be in for one
> miserable trip, worrying about every noise and shake.

... and this is what I worry about.  It *will* be a miserable trip if I
am doing this (but I still don't want to have loud music blasting over
the top of any *important* rattle.

> ...They really are great for taking long trips, even in the freezing

Now *that* is what I wanted to hear!!!!!

Thanks,

Eric
'68MGB MkII