Re: Carb kit

To: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carb kit
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:23:08 +1000
Andrew,

>usefulness of this particular kit?  Should I go ahead and rip my carbs
apart
>and reassemble them with these nice new gaskets and float valves?  My first

I'm concerned you don't have all the necessary items to do a proper rebuild
and would be guessing that putting new gaskets and new float bowl needle and
seat won't do much unless it's the needle and seat thats give you problems.
New gaskets will help stop the thing leaking but there are other parts
you'll need to get, to make the carbs perform like new.

Did you get with the kit:

2 New Jets
2 New Needles
2 New Semi-solid rubber, round with a 'key', like spacers  that go between
the float bowl and the carb body. Sorry can't remember the correct term for
these. You can see a pic of one of those spacers (green in colour) in this
pic of my carbs: http://www.tradesrv.com.au/mgstuff/b/carbs_rebuilt.JPG

Is there also any play in the throttle shaft through the vertical and
horizontal, on either side of the shaft? If so the bushes and or shaft are
worn and you will definitely need to fix that if you are going to make the
car idle properly and set the mixture properly.

It took me an awful long time to get my carbs rebuilt properly, I know I
couldn't do the above in a weekend. All up it took weeks as I had to get the
carb sent to be rebushed etc. But I did waste a lot of time, cleaning and
polishing all the bits.

>nasties I will note down what's wrong, put things back as they were, and
>then buy more parts to fix the broken bits.

If you just install the kit you received you don't have to take the carbs
apart, you only need to take them off the car, remove the float bowl lids,
replace the needles and seats and refit the new gaskets. The only reason you
need to take the carbs off the car is to fit those carb-heat shield gaskets.
BTW you should really have three per carb. 1 on the heat shield-spacer, 1 on
the spacer-intake manifold and 1 on the carb to intake manifold. Six in
total. You'll be able to do all that in a day no worries. I don't expect
you'll find any broken bits, more like the bits will be worn and thats why
the SU's get such a bad name - keeping them in tune is impossible with leaky
shafts, worn jets and needles etc.

Cheers,
Neil.
--