Re: 3Q: Rebuilding Suspension...

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 3Q: Rebuilding Suspension...
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:41:39 -0800
Word on the street is that Tim Nagy said:
> I ran into the same thing last week.  So, dropped the crossmember.  Laid
> the thing on its side on the work bench, and beat the linign sh*t out of
> it.  Didn't have any Penetrating oil, so had to use WD-40.  Bolt would
> only go flush, but-spraybeat back in and out-repeat about 5 times ontil
> I beat the WD-40 into the bushing...well, let's just say, that bolt's in
> the trash can now!

Thanks, I had a suspicion the BFH approach would be needed ;)  Still don't
understand what its hung up on though - the bottom bolt sure, it seizes
to the distance tube, but the upper isn't against any metal.  Perhaps
the upper trunnion bush has expanded and is catching the threads of the
pin or something, and the play in the shock lever arms means my hammer
blows aren't 100% effective.  The pilot hole for the punch is a great
idea, thanks.

Of course, to remove the assembly I will have to disconnect the brake hose
(just bled the brakes) and disconnect the tie rod balljoint (and my tre
separator hasn't arrived yet).

Skye

--
1966 MGB        The MGB Experience         __,__\__
GHN3L-70307     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)