Re: rheostat freaking out...any ideas?

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: rheostat freaking out...any ideas?
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:32:26 -0500
At 07:46 PM 1/26/1999 -0000, you wrote:
>If you REALLY want to bypass the rheostat all the ones I have seen have had
>two spades on each terminal, so you just move one of the wires over to the
>spare spade on the other side.

>But come on, surely it's a point of honour to keep them in circuit?

I want to take issue with the "point of honor [sic]". Years ago when I
worked as a
photographer, I got into an endless debate as to whether the only artistic
photograph is one that uses the entire frame - no cropping allowed. The
original
image is the only valuable image.

Took me years to resolve the issue in my mind and the answer goes like this:
The final product is what is important, how I intend to present the image and
how it is received. Crop the crap.  It does not belong as part of my
'intention.'

To translate this attitude into a point of honor MG issues, what is the
intent? IF the intent
of owning one is to drive and enjoy and fix and keep it running, then
anything that works,
elegant, crude, original (to Aberdeen) or not, is valuable.

If the intent is to showcase an original, well, all modifications are off
and one
can ignore the subsequent 20-40 years time. To be completely true to
original, then
buying remanufactured parts from Moss or VB or ... should not be acceptable
either.
What then? A garage relic.

Seems to me the repair issue is similar to the old philosophic conundrum:
If every plank
of a 100 year old boat has been replaced, is it the same boat?

I opt to ride and ride and ....

Sorry. My soapbox just collapsed.

Bill

>PaulH.
>(who can't read the numbers anyway and just goes by the angle of the
>needles)

Dr. Bill Saidel
Assoc. Prof.                      Vocal phone   (609) 225-6336
Department of Biology             FAX  (609) 225-6312
Science Building                  email:  saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
315 Penn St.
Camden, NJ 08102 -1411
http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Between the approximation of the idea and the precision
of reality, there is a small gap of the unimaginable."
Milan Kundera - "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"