Hello

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hello
From: Obadiah Fayth <fayth@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:21:21 -0800
        Hello Everone! I just subscribed to the list and wanted to
introduce myself. My name is Obie and I don't have an MG yet, but want to
get one. Actually it my dad who wants to buy one. He has always liked them
and a couple of weeks ago there was something on tv about the MGB GT V8. So
now he wants me to build him a convertable version of one. He just bought a
book about it that is quite thorough, but we still have a lot of questions.
        Firstly I was wondering if there are any good web sites re: buying
MGs and what we should look for (rust prone spots, etc...). I think we are
going to look for a rubber bumper car since the conversion will be a little
easier, but we both really prefer the looks of the chrome bumpers. I have
been told that they can be retrofited. What do we need (fenders, grill,
hood?)? Where can I find the required pieces?
        Also I was wondering how v8 conversions are looked upon by the MG
crowd. Should I be wearing nomex while I write this ;) Are there any other
people on the list who have converted their cars? I would be interested to
know what kind of engines and trans, etc... you chose to fit. My dad and I
both live in Tacoma, WA. USA and unfortunately the supply of used Rover
3.5l engines is rather limited. Is there a similar late model Buick
powerplant?
        I have seen Moss mentioned several times, who are the other parts
suppliers in the US? Oh, one more thing. The book we got recommends fitting
what they call a "new Heritage shell". What the heck is that? New frame,
frame + body???

thanks,
-Obie
Tacoma, Wa. USA