Re: ZS 175 Carburetor

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: ZS 175 Carburetor
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:52:35 -0400
>...SO forget the spare carb diaphragm always carry electrician's tape. (and
>a shoestring, but that is another story)
>
>Larry Macy
>78 Midget

Larry -

Yeah... My story is that I was alone on a Sunday in 1984, enroute from
Blacksburg Virginia to Bloomington Indiana.  ' Was new to MGs at the time
and had just learned to tune my recently-acquired '78 B.  Started losing
power at Kentucky line and by Frankfurt, I could barely get up the exit
ramp.  ' Had Haynes, Chiltons and Autobooks manuals with me.  Not a hint.
Overnight stay.  Monday: search for a mechanic.  Found one who insisted it
was a clogged cat converter.  His temporary semi-legal fix:  loosen the
bolts from manifold to cat about a half-inch - it would be enough to get me
to the Leyland dealer in Louisville.  Noooooooo.  It made no difference -
except to make it LOUD.  In fact it caused MG to rebreath its own exhaust
and unbeknownst to me the plugs fouled.  It started missing badly and I
barely got into a rest stop about 30 miles out of Louisville.  ' Couldn't
be the plugs, thought I, ' just replaced them!  Got towed to Leyland shop.
Mind you I was pretty naive at the time. Mechanic says he'd have to pull
the head (6-8 hours at $60/hour!!!) just to diagnose.  I wasn't THAT naive.
Instead, I had them store the car for about two weeks, I rented a car to
finish my business trip, returned to Virginia, rented a tow dolly - drove
back to Louisville - another night in a motel - took the driveshaft off MGB
and towed it back to Virginia.  Called my mechanic-friend in Blacksburg and
discribed the problem to him and he diagnosed it -all over the phone.

$4.90 later I was back on the road - although I had to fix up that
converter.  You're right, Larry, I did have some electrician's tape with me
and I could have patched the diaphragm in a few minutes had I known there
was such a thing!  But then - a new one is so cheap and takes so little
space, why not just carry a spare?  After all, I'm already carrying spare
heater control valve, bottom radiator hose, fan belt, fuel pump, water
pump, coil, distributer, alternator, U-joint, front wheel bearing, and,
and, and...  I admit to a problem with carrying a spare: they're so rarely
needed the spare would probably rot in the toolbox before the original rots
on the carb.  My current solution is to use SUs on all my Bs.

Incidentally, I can pull ahead myself in less than two hours.

Let me guess... the shoe string is for when the throttle cable breaks, right?

Cheers,

Allen

Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs