Re: Heat, or lack thereof in MGB

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Subject: Re: Heat, or lack thereof in MGB
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 22:34:28 -0800

Larry Hoy wrote:

> >I know that the temperature control is hooked up properly, I did that when
> replaced the console after the new wiring harness.
>
> I am confident that you have hooked everything up properly, but.......... I
> have found that there is a summer heater "setting" and a winter heater
> "setting".  It has been my experience that the "lever" that controls the
> heater valve has less travel than the heater valve has.  I "set" my cable
> adjustment so in the summer the valve goes from completely shut to almost
> all the way open; and in the winter it goes from all the way open to almost
> shut.  You might want to do a little investigation.

Being as how I was putting it back together in November, I opted for the max
open configuration.

> > I see two likelihoods, one is that the heater valve is restricting water
> flow,
>
> In my humble opinion the MGB heater valve is a piece of junk.  You may be
> correct, the valve may be restricting the flow.  The valve is notorious for
> leaking, and of course a leak can be disastrous (been there, done that).  I
> am working on a conversion idea as we speak.
>
> > two is that the heater core is clogged and needs to be flushed.
>
> Could be.  Kinda cold to be back flushing the cooling system now.

I'm not about to dig out the hose this weekend.

> > Would anybody care to venture a call as to which attack has the greater
> probability of success?
>
> Another item is the "vents" in the fire wall.  Make sure all the rubber
> grommets are in place, no random holes.  I sealed the cold air vent doors
> with self adhesive foam tape.  Another nifty item is the magnetic vent inlet
> seal available from the big suppliers.

The dash vents are ducted to the a/c heat exchanger so I know where the're
coming from.

> If your car is properly sealed and the heater is working OK you'll stay
> pretty warm in your B, good luck.

I'm hoping to get to find out one of these days.  Thanks.

Bud Krueger