Melted Gearbox Mounts/Half Speed Speedo

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Melted Gearbox Mounts/Half Speed Speedo
From: "Warren Pruitt" <warren_p@ls3p.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:23:14 -0500
Started project two, the engine transplant of a 72 roadster and found the
rubber gearbox mounts appeared melted, so much so, that I had to cut them
away with an x-acto to remove the bolts. Is it possible that they received
that much heat and if so, wouldn't the gearbox be toast? Could gasoline or
oil have caused this? The gearbox is covered in oil.

Next question is why would a speedo be very slow to register the proper
speed? There is no bounce and the speedo is proper for the gearbox, but it
is not even close to correct. For example showing 30 mph while doing 65.

Actually drove project one Sunday (rebuild of 70 roadster engine) for the
first time and was amazed at how smooth and powerful it felt. Great
improvement! The thing that suprised me was the difference in exhaust note.
Very throaty and way cool. I guess the combination of rebore, porting, and
cam all contributed to the change. I was always fairly disappointed in the
sound after installing the peco exhaust and header but now sounds like it
should.

Thanks for the help.

Warren
warren_p@LS3P.com