Re: Melted Gearbox Mounts/Half Speed Speedo

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Melted Gearbox Mounts/Half Speed Speedo
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 20:41:20 -0800
 >In a message dated 3/8/99 1:26:07 PM SA Eastern Standard Time,
 >warren_p@ls3p.com writes:
 >
 >> Started project two, the engine transplant of a 72 roadster and found
the
 >>  rubber gearbox mounts appeared melted, so much so, that I had to cut
them
 >>  away with an x-acto to remove the bolts. Is it possible that they
received
 >>  that much heat and if so, wouldn't the gearbox be toast? Could
gasoline or
 >>  oil have caused this? The gearbox is covered in oil.

Judging from the number of posts, this seems to be a widespread
phenomenon in need of explanation. I bought a used crossmember once (when
I changed trannies) and the rubber mounts were melted, also. All the
grease/dirt/oil gunk on the underside was all burnt looking, too, so that
I assumed the donor car had caught on fire. Now, I wonder...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB