Re: Melted Gearbox Mounts/Half Speed Speedo

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>, <REwald9535@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Melted Gearbox Mounts/Half Speed Speedo
From: "Warren Pruitt" <warren_p@ls3p.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:28:06 -0500
Thanks Lawrie! You hit my worst fear on the button. I did tow it about 100
miles on a dolly with the driveshaft connected. It is a long and
unimportant story why I did this. I have not driven this car yet because it
is seized from throwing a rod. Pretty sure that happened because of oil
starvation. Didn't get a half-quart out of the engine when I drained it,
but the gearbox seemed full albeit the wrong stuff (90 wt).

What should I look for when I replace gaskets and seals on the gearbox to
see what damage may have been done if this is what happened (overheating by
tow)?

> From: Lawrie Alexander <Lawrie@britcars.com>
> To: REwald9535@aol.com; warren_p@ls3p.com; mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Melted Gearbox Mounts/Half Speed Speedo
> Date: Monday, March 08, 1999 8:12 PM
>
> Maybe it's a result of towing without disconnecting the
driveshaft.......?