Re: Seat cover kits vs. upholstery shop

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Seat cover kits vs. upholstery shop
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 20:27:18 -0500

"William M. Gilroy" wrote:

> My Midget took on a fair amount of water before I got the car.
> This caused the carpets to rot, the vinyl panels and the seats
> to grow a nice coat of mold and mildew.  Now after 10 months
> inside and a very good cleaning the seats still have that moldy
> funky smell.  In this case funk is bad.  Since the seats are
> well worn and have the 'funk', I am going to replace the covers
> and the foam rubber.  I priced the kits from british vic. and
> they are $260 for the seat covers, and $60 for the foam, for
> a total cost of $320.  The other route is to have them recovered
> and the foam replace at a local upholstery shop.  Just looking
> for opinions on which route might be better.  Any thoughts?
> I figured I would send this to both lists since the problem
> and thoughts would similar.

Bill, my brother, dad and myself redid the seats on the '78 B this past
year, and we were VERY dissatisfied with the fit of the pieces.  We
purchased four new seat cushions AND their upholstery kit.  The seams
would not line up with the edges of the foam.  I can supply pictures of
the seats, and you can verify.  We didn't send the pieces back, since we
decided to glue the covers, hoping that they would align slightly better
when glued.  We gambled and lost.

I am carbon copying this email message to my brother.  Mike, we did get
those covers from VB, right?  I know for sure it was either VB or Moss,
but I think it was VB.  Let me know if I'm wrong, Mike.

I can't recommend any other suppliers.  Has anyone tried out Mike
Satur's leather covers or the leather ones from Prestige Auto Trim for
$300?

Take care
Jay