In defense of Lucas

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: In defense of Lucas
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:16:08 -0700
Jay wrote:
>Why did I buy a Porsche?  One of the reasons for my change was the poor
>parts quality.  By damn, I paid $980 in parts for my Porsche last
>December and everything came in a box approximately 1 cubic foot in
>volume.  Everything in that box was great quality and NOTHING had the
>Lucas label, thank goodness.  I guess you DO get what you pay for.

What's wrong with Lucas?

Sure, we have joked about the Prince of Darkness. But the truth of the
matter is that most electrical problems (Lucas problems) are due to bad or
corroded connections.

I have had problems with some Lucas components - one time going through
three Lucas generators on a 65B in a couple of months time(back in the
70's). But overall, I find Lucas quality excellent and superior to many
American brands. For example, my 71BGT has had the same alternater since I
bought the car in 1983. Since then (and it was already old), I've put over
100,000 miles on it and only had to repair it once - replaced the brushes
at a cost less than $5.

Most other brands, you can't replace the brushes, you have to buy a whole
new unit (this also applies to starters too).

My 74 Landcruiser had the alternater and voltage regulater die at the same
time (at 120k miles). It now sports new Lucas alternator and regulater!!

So I have to defend Lucas here - they have had some glitches but overall, I
think their quality is every bit as good as the other companies.

David
71 BGT