In defense of Lucas

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: In defense of Lucas
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:23:50 -0700
Ok, we all have to face the facts.  Reguardless of how good things are
in our cars, Lucas has had problems, and a lot of them.  Just ask the
U.S. government - who sued them and won judgement for some $6 billion or
so for selling them defective parts.

Now I like my Lucas parts, and they all work very well.  I have had
Lucas generator/regulator problems before, but they seem to be cured.
It seems that issues usually occur (as mentioned) at connectors.  And
that non-Lucas connectors (and insulators) are more prone to problems
with Lucas components than Lucas connectors are.

I now own a Porsche also - not to get away from lucas, but because I
wanted a Porsche.  Bosch has its problems too, as well as it's problems
with poor connections.  And that goes for Marschal (French) too.

Phil Bates

'52 MG-TD replicar (VW with Bosch, cibie, marschal, and hella
components)
'58 MGA
'66 Citroen
'66 Land Rover (in 1,000,000 pieces)
'67 MGB
'69 Porsche 911T targa
'75 Jaguar XJ12C (ever seen Bosch injection labeled Lucas??)
'86 Peugeot 505 Turbo-Gas
'86 Honda Accord LX-i hatchback (for sale cheap in Idaho)