Re: Replace Headrests in Midget

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Replace Headrests in Midget
From: Swift Justice <samesq@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:13:13 -0800

Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> If I remember correctly, there are 2 solutions:
> - totally disassemble the seat to get to the spring clips inside the seats
> - use a big hammer to get the headrests out, breaking the clips

 Actually another solution, speaking from someone who swapped out headrests from
another set of seats two months ago:

1.  Apply some 3 in 1 oil  down the head rest slide and work it up and down in
case they don't move (mine did not)

2.    Stand behind seats on parcel shelf area.  While you can do this procedure
with the seats out, it is easier with them in place.

3.    Place both hands underneath the headrest such that you have both hands
grasping the plastic piece that is underneath it.  (like you are trying to curl
some weights)

4.    Pull up sharply with all your worth.  It may take several sharp pulls to
release it.  There is simply a spring catch with a small tooth that holds the
headrests in.  The combination of oil and force should allow your to pull it
out.(did I just say that?)  If  its any consolation, when you put them back in
they will move and come out next time very easily.  The clips will not be
broken,
but the tooth will be bent-in slightly making it eaiser to get out next time.

5.    The other altenative is to completely take apart the seat and use a small
screw driver to push in the catch. (I tried one this way)  Found it MUCH easier
pull it out while in the car, you don't really need to be that strong (wimpy
lawyer guy talking)

Good luck,
Steve.
--
| Steve McGee, Atty. at Large
| Samesq@pacbell.net
| Spridget page http://home.pacbell.net/samesq/links.html
| Mopar page http://home.pacbell.net/samesq/mopar.html

"Only if you are unafraid of the truth will you ever find it."