Re: Dumb question

To: Chris Chandler <spawn@net-link.net>
Subject: Re: Dumb question
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:00:13 -0700

>Ok, I know this is a stupid question, but...
>
>Where the blazes are the timing marks????  I re-built my dizzy and I was
>going to set the timing static first and then get a light on it, but I
>can't find the timing marks to save my life... the car is the '70 B,
>with an 18GB engine... I looked both on top AND underneath... Are they
>so small that they could be hidden in grime?  Is it possible that
>they're gone (i.e.: are they removable or a permanent part of the timing
>chain cover?)?
>
>Any help appreciated!  The big V8 4WD really sucks gas on a 30 mile one
>way commute every day!

One of the other listers here lives in the same city as I do, and his 70
BGT has the same problem. The timing mark is supposed to be welded on the
timing chain cover. But either they left it off during the 70 production or
these are replacement covers.

It could be covered in grime but it should still stick out. Looking at the
front of the engine, the marker should be on the top left of the timing
cover (about 11 O'clock if it was circular).

It might be wise to replace the cover with one that has the timing marks.
Its not a tough job but you'll have to remove the radiator and the pulley
(I'd call it a three beer job, not difficult but it will take a little
time, about 1-2 hours).

David