Re: Dumb question

To: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>, "Chris Chandler" <spawn@net-link.net>
Subject: Re: Dumb question
From: Jim Sharp <jimsharp@ipa.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 99 22:17:35 -0600
>>Where the blazes are the timing marks????  I re-built my dizzy and I was
>>going to set the timing static first and then get a light on it, but I
>>can't find the timing marks to save my life... the car is the '70 B,
>>with an 18GB engine... I looked both on top AND underneath... Are they
>>so small that they could be hidden in grime?  Is it possible that
>>they're gone (i.e.: are they removable or a permanent part of the timing
>>chain cover?)?

On the 70 model the timing marks are on the bottom. They could be covered
in gunk. The pointer is on the bottom of the timing chain cover. Try
spraying some brake cleaner or something like that up there to clean the
area. When I rebuilt the engine I took yellow tire crayon and marked the
line on the crank pulley. Then lay on your back and line up the mark and
pointer. Hope this helps.