Re: Porsche, Wilwood calipers on MGB

To: Perry Robinson <PROBINSO@flower-mound.com>
Subject: Re: Porsche, Wilwood calipers on MGB
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:39:46 -0500

Perry Robinson wrote:

> What model Porsche can you find NEW Porsche brake rotors for $50-$100?
>
> I always believed that someone should find a german or Japanese sportscar
> (cheaper and better, and more common) brake rotor/caliper replacement for
> any british car.  I have been looking at various late model mazda and nissan
> parts as possible swaps.

Porsche 911 vented rotors for 75-83 Porsches are less than $50 each. I
have seen them for $28 each, and they claim they are original equipment
manufacturer.  Most Porsche guys just chunk the rotors when they become
warped or severely grooved.  The 911s are particularly sensitive to any
components out of spec, like warped rotors, slightly imbalanced wheels,
so it just pays to put new on every time.  I imagine the the increasing
scale of production helps to keep costs down.

John S. mentions that the rotors bolt to the hub.  The rotors DO bolt to
the hub, but since we are using MGB hubs, we will need to fabricate a
1/2" thick spacer to allow the rotors to mate with the hubs.  We are
costing this now, but I'm hoping we can just get the flat stock cut to a
circle, which will allow us to drill the holes in the aluminum with a
bench drill press.  IF ANYONE is seriously interested in this, please
let me know. We can combine work and save on machine shop costs.

I will be happy to discuss in length with anyone.

Why the Porsche rotors?  Cheap. Good quality.  We can go with slotted or
drilled rotors for slightly more than the solid rotors.  We don't have
that option with the MGB rotors. We plan on taking the car to the track.

Also, another person posted a website for a person that has done the
conversion.  We are buying adapter plates from him.

Take care
Jay

PS. for those who are interested, here is a cost breakdown. $200 for
calipers, $75 for rotors. ~$75-100 for adapters. Another few dollars for
brake lines.  I think I mentioned $400 for the conversion, so my
itemization above looks good.

--
When you were born you cried
And the world rejoiced.