Re: Bonnet Pad Set

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bonnet Pad Set
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 20:43:53 -0400
Bob -
Thanks!  now that brings up two more questions.  Have you, or anybody else,
tried the replacement underdash covers sold by the likes of Mo$$ or VB?  I
believe they're plastic. Opinions?  2nd question: what kind of padding
under the carpets?  My carpet set came with foam padding and I have the
composite stuff that fits in between the "ribs" in the floor - like the
factory used.  What else are you using?

On my '73 -my  first restoration project -  completed 8 years ago - I used
a LOT of 3M undercoating - probably not a great idea although I've had no
trapped-moisture problems so far.  I shot it inside the doors, covered the
floors with it on the inside, and the entire boot. ' Shot both sides of the
bulkhead between cabin and boot.  Then I used a carpet kit in the boot.
Purpose: minimize noise.  It did work - the car is really quiet - even
without overdrive.  I've since learned that undercoating may defeat the
purpose for which it was intended, but liberal amounts seemed to reduce
resonance of metal panels.  The engine sounds like it's in another room.

Allen

>From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
>
>Allen,
>  My '72 GT had a booming resonance in the cabin at certain speeds.
>Fitting the underdash covers helped a lot! Padding under the carpets
>helped too. Valve noise was never a concern, but after the covers were
>added there was no valve noise audible inside the car.
>Bob
>
>On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 22:18:51 -0400 Florrie & Allen Bachelder
><bachldrs@swva.net> writes:
>>I have not tried this, but I've heard that correct under-dash covers
>>(as
>>many of our cars had when new) reduce engine noise considerably.  Can
>>somebody else verify this?
>>
>>Allen
>>
>>From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
>>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I'm looking for ways to hear less of the tappets and more of the
>>wonderful
>>>burbly exhaust when I'm driving, and the first thing would probably
>>be to
>>>install the two pieces of black sound deadening material under the
>>bonnet.
>>>
>>>Any other quieting suggestions would also be appreciated.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have a cheap alternate source of the material?  I am
>>going to
>>>have to tear it out in a year or so to repaint anyway, so I don't
>>want to
>>>drop a bundle of money on it.  Think Home Depot.
>>>
>>>Skye
>>>
>>>--
>>>1966 MGB        The MGB Experience         __,__\__      Safety Fast!
>>>GHN3L-70307     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     MGOFR 1.375

>or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

*    Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<         *
*    Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs *
*    New Castle, VA 24127                       *
*    USA                                        *
*    540/544-7333                               *