Re: THE source of all oil problems

To: MSLishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: THE source of all oil problems
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 08:51:11 -0400

MSLishego wrote:

>         With all good intentions, I'm going to try to fix this problem
> tomorrow.  Even if I cut my oil consumption in half, I'll be happy.
> Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to replace the seals that are under
> the timing cover with the engine in the car?  I'd sure hate to have to
> shelf the MGB early because I couldn't afford the oil bills!

I feel your pain Mike.  It seems like my car also goes through times
when everything seems to go wrong.  Something will manage to break
itself.  Luckily, it has made two 400 mile trips with ease this past
week, and I've got my fingers crossed.

The timing cover gasket is a booger.  You will need to remove your
crankshaft pulley, which will likely require the use of a puller.  I'm
not sure if you can get a puller in there very easily.  If not, you may
be required to raise the engine with a hoist until you can get a puller
in there.  All is not lost, though.  You may very well be able to get
the pulley off with brute force, a drift pin and hammer, or some
combination of the aboove.  Make sure the mounting surfaces are very
clean, and I would use gasket sealant.

Jay
--
When you were born you cried