Re: THE source of all oil problems

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Subject: Re: THE source of all oil problems
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 18:52:58 -0400

Skye Poier wrote:

> I must be doing something right, because my car has really been the
> pinnicle of reliability since I got it almost a year ago.  Other than
> problems with old tires and tubes giving me oodles of flats, it has
> purred right along without missing a beat.
>
> I think the almost weekly trip to Seattle makes a big difference. Cruising
> along for 3 hours gets the juices flowing as it were and dries out all
> the bits and pieces.  That's my theory anyway :)  That and only change
> one thing at a time.... don't disrupt the "balance" !!

I'm sure it's a black art or something, but in my defense, I have put
over 30k miles on my MGB in the last two years.  It goes through more
heck than most garage queens see in their whole lives.  I'm not pointing
fingers at anyone, Skye included.  Also, the two times I autocrossed the
car, she developed problems.  I suppose it's a good high stress
environment to weed out the problems that would take months to develop
otherwise.

If I had the time to take the car down for a month or two to redo many
of the system, that would be great, but since she's relegated to daily
driver status since ownership, I don't have that luxury.  Alas, the '70
B will be sold in a few months to pay for restoration of the Porsche,
and I sold the '65 B this weekend.  I really miss that '65 B, and I
already know I will kick myself in the rear for letting that rustfree,
complete car go for $1500.

Ah, well, one of these days I'll get another MGB, but until then the
Porsche and MGBV8 will have to suffice. :)

Jay