RE: Crazy II

To: "'MMich99551@aol.com'" <MMich99551@aol.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Crazy II
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:56:11 -0400
Mark,

You got so many replies to this, that I was surprised no one suggested this.
Would the other listers please comment on this strategy?

First, congratulations for taking the car to a mechanic.  So many people
miss this step, and most are sorry for it.  Second, good job for not jumping
on the first MGB you found.  Impatience always leads to trouble.

Now a question:  Did your mechanic check for rust in the usual places?  If
this is a rust-free car, I wouldn't let it go just yet.

Now that you have an idea what it needs, you're in a good bargaining
position.  Take your mechanic's written estimate (with the compression
readings on it) back to the seller.  Show him that it'll cost you $3000 to
make a runner out of it.  Offer him $500 for it.  Rust-free MGBs are a
prize.  One with a new engine (and clutch) is probably worth $3500.

Then if he does sell it to you, get more estimates for the engine.  I
rebuilt my own, but I have a feeling $3000 is high.  If you do spend that
much on it, then take it to someone who knows MG's in particular.  These
aren't tricky motors, but it sure wouldn't hurt to use someone with some
history with them.

(Oh, and the wet plugs may be from oil splashing around the cylinders with
the bad rings.  The Weber may suffice once the motor is renewed, at to keep
it on the road while you find an alternative.)

Best of luck.

Matt Kulka
Huntersville, NC
'74 B