Re: Starter

To: Lawrie@britcars.com
Subject: Re: Starter
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:09:42 EDT
In a message dated 5/20/99 7:10:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Lawrie@britcars.com writes:

<< Oops, did I misread your first note? I thought you were comparing the
 pre-engaged starter to the earlier starter. Should I have read it to mean
 that you were comparing two different types of pre-engaged starter? (I guess
 we English have a hard time reading Canadian!)

No, you read it right. You can use your original non synch, non pre-engaged
flywheel, stock rear engine plate etc., and fit a later pre-engaged starter
to it!

It pulls the other way, but that doesn't seem to matter. I took the ring gear
down to about half thickness in a lathe (to match the width of the narrower
all synch ring gear that normally is used with that sort of starter) but
didn't bother to cut lead-in chamfers on the teeth. It doesn't seem to matter
- it meshes just fine. If you used the rear plate for the later engine, it
won't work - the ring gear is a different diameter and the mounting holes in
the rear plate don't match up.

Bill

PS - I thought you were a Yank, not English!  Are you going to be at Tahoe
next month? Look me up and we can chat about odd conversions etc.