RB Mods

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RB Mods
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 10:49:04 EDT
<<Two things....keep in mind the rubber bumper cars are slow and handle
poorly...I speak from experience....not prejudice.....I axed the single ZS
carb went to dual SU's with a header and lowered mine to chrome bumper height
with new springs, and added telescopic shocks all around.  A highly
recommended modification.>>

Well, you have the right idea, at least as far as the engine mods are
concerned, but the spring change leaves something to be desired. Lowering by
simply fitting shorter (often stiffer) springs also adds (sometimes
considerable) bump steer to your suspension. It is not the best way to do it
- whether the result is something you can live with depends on your driving
experience with MGs and what you use them for.

And while a tube shock conversion will often make a considerable improvement,
especially over worn original items, there are some caveats here too. The
front conversions that offset the shock are best avoided, while the ones that
mount the shock concentrically in the spring seem the rarest and hardest to
find. There is nothing wrong with a new original set of shocks, by the way. I
race with Armstrongs on one race car and Konis on another, and have no
problem living with new Armstrongs with competition valve bodies in them.

Bill S.

PS - you are right about the so-called LE version - they made more of these
than the total production of just about every car I own. Limited indeed, but
only by the number of gullible shmucks willing to pony up the dough for a
badge engineered wannabe in order to feel 'exclusive' (I'm referring to
original buyers, not current owners here, so don't get your knickers in a
knot).