Re: Title and Bill of Sale

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: Title and Bill of Sale
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 17:49:03 -0500
Neil:
It's perfectly legitimate to register a car in a state where it's not
physically located. The title and registration usually match by state. The
"bill of sale" is just a piece of paper. But if you have it Notarized by
Gullwing...I'm sure you'll have no problems. People like official-looking
stamps and such.
I'm in the Army and move around a lot. Although I live in Kentucky, both my
Chevy Tahoe and Mazda MX-3 are registered in Texas (where I have
residency -- no state taxes) The B is registered here in KY (bought in
Tennessee, transferred Title to KY). Once a car is registered in a state,
one can continue to register it by mail in that state forever, from my
experience, no matter where you are (some may expect an inspection
certificate in the mail, THOSE we avoid). Not to confuse you, but I imported
a US spec BMW from Germany, and registered it in Georgia (first station
after Deutschland). I kept the Georgia plates on the car even though I moved
to Texas 6 months later. BUT, once the registration was due, I compared
prices between TX tax and GA tax and opted for the TX taxes. In other words,
location of the vehicle doesn't matter here, usually it's which state is
cheaper. Southern states are usually cheaper than those nutty NorthEastern
states. ;)
The critical thing in my mind is for you to get the bottom-line from your
Motor Vehicle dept. there in Australia. Once you've got the correct stuff
and get it registered there, none of the US paperwork really matters
anymore!

Dan
73 B
>I didn't read this until now.. Now I am worried, but someone tell me if I
>should be. I will have to call the company to get further info, and PLEASE
>let's not start bad mouthing anyone like the recent thread until I can
clear
>this up properly. But I feel I should expand on my information now I've
>started this thread.
>
>I bought this car in March. The Bill of Sale I have which is from the
Dealer