Re: oil filters

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil filters
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:40:58 -0700
Johnmowog@aol.com had this to say:

>It's just cheap insurance to use a high quality hanging filter. You won't see
>anyone with professional qualifications race with an inverted filter, and you
>don't see any other cars built with one...[snip]

Hmmm, I wonder... I'd swear I've seen a Ferrari V12* with "inverted"
filters (2 of them)... funny, it was using Fram filters, too (I'm not
kidding). And my Mopar small block has a horizontal-axis oil filter (is
this the best of both? the worst? or a compromise?). Maybe there's just
more than one way to skin a cat...

*I just found a picture of it. The classic Colombo V12 as found in the
365 GTC/4 (and many others) has two filters nestled in the "vee" -- in
the "inverted" position. What does that tell us?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149