Re: Windshield Fogging

To: nory_midget@yahoo.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield Fogging
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:16:53 EDT
In a message dated 6/23/99 5:48:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nory_midget@yahoo.com writes:

<< Then I brought up
 my '71 5-speed from Tennessee, with a completely
 fog-free windshield.  Now, I know they don't get as
 much sun in Tenn as they do in Fl, but they get more
 than we do in western NY, so my sun theory went out
 the, uh, windshield.

 What about everybody else?  What causes the fog?  Is
 there any way to buff it out or anything?  Or is
 replacement the only solution? >>

Nory and others, windscreen fogging is cause by fogging of the plasic sheet
between the two sheets of glass.  The sandwich is what makes it safety glass.
 Fogging is specifically addressed in the PA State Safety Inspection
regulations as to how much is acceptible.  (Another stupid law.  It is stated
as a number of inches of fogging that is allowed.  But the percentage of
fogging is much more important.  2" of fogging in a Spridget windscreen is a
lot more than 2" of fogging in a full size pickup truck.)

There is no way of clearing it, short of complete replacement, because you
can't get to the plastic sheet.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport