MGB too hot?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB too hot?
From: Mike <mtb14@liii.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:15:25 -0400
I think I finally solved my temp problem!
I was concerned about the temp gauge reading on my 73B so I
did some investigating...  I pulled the sender and put it in
a pot of water, with a 2 meat thermometers, and heated the
water slowly on a burner.  I determined that the "N"
indication on my gauge means 175F, and that the two meat
thermometers agreed.  "H" is just above boiling (212F).  So
I guesstimated the normal running temp of my B to be about
190-200 since it hovers right between "N" and "H" in the
recent 85 degree weather.  Now I have a 165F thermostat
(previous owner), and I tested the stat in the pot of water
- checks out OK.  Flushed the radiator, etc, etc.  No help
there.  Added electric cooling fan.  Still no noticeable
improvement.  Finally, I fabricated half of a shroud for my
belt-driven cooling fan out of aluminum sheetmetal, and
VOILA!  Closer to "N"!  I will complete my shroud design
next weekend.

Finally I am able to motor along more confidently!!
Mike Berenz