RE: Stump the experts: MG not level

To: <Matt.DeBoer@ejgallo.com>, <vaders@wilkes.net>
Subject: RE: Stump the experts: MG not level
From: "Jason Dutt" <jason@markerman.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:37:25 -0400
I too started a few threads a while ago regarding this problem.  I've been
consulting with Doug at British Automotive (www.mgbmga.com), and have found
him to be a great asset.  I found that a big part of my problem to be the
bushed suspension components on the drivers side were way too tight.  I have
SPAX and prothanes, and with the SPAX disconnected, it was very difficult to
lift the suspension, and when let go it slowly went back to fully extended.
It was so bad I thought that the valve had been left in the old shock.  It
turned out to be a simple case of overtightened bushes.  Loosen the nuts
until you can barely get the cotter pins in.  The goal is to have the
suspension float freely on it's various axis.  After doing that, I went from
a 1" imbalance to a 1/2" imbalance which is consitant from front to rear.
What we're doing next is to use spacers to compensate the left side of the
car.  I'm not exceedingly happy about it, but that's about all we can do at
this point.

Good luck!  In my experience, suspension and ride heights are some of the
worst gremlins to deal with and feel good about it.

=J=