Clutch bleeding easy

To: "MGS Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch bleeding easy
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 19:45:51 +0100
Changed all my clutch hydraulics and brake m/c on the V8 yesterday, so had
the opportunity to try something I have been wondering about for a while but
haven't seen mentioned anywhere.  It worked a treat so I pass it on.

After hearing many tales of woe about clutch bleeding (worse than the brakes
and they are bad enough) I wondered what would happen if I reverse-bled it
i.e. from the slave up to the M/C.  In fact, what about *filling* it from
the slave?  I assembled everything dry i.e. no bench bleeding but didn't
mount the slave, just left it hanging down from the flex.  Got my Gunsons
Easibleed and removed the cap that normally goes on top of the M/C, fitted a
length of larger bore tubing between the end of the piece I had removed the
cap from and the slave bleed nipple, which I opened half a turn.  Gingerly
connected the Gunsons up to the spare that only had 10psi in it, checked
that fluid wasn't spurting everywhere, then watched and listened at the M/C
with the cap off.  After a few seconds there was a slight gurgling, then
clear golden fluid rose gracefully up towards the neck.  Released the
Gunsons from the spare tyre, tightened up the bleed nipple, and mounted the
slave to the bell-housing.  Before starting I had measured the travel at the
slave while the Navigator pumped the pedal (a fraction less than 1/2", I
reckon) then measured again after fitting (spot on 1/2" this time).

Flushed (!) with success I wondered if it would work for the brakes too - it
filled the M/C but there was still air in the system, even after two
sessions with the Gunsons conventionally on the M/C.  Eventually I used a
combination of Gunsons and the Navigator standing on the pedal while I
snapped the bleed nipples open and shut - got a lot more air out and now
have a hard pedal.

Still, it was very successful for the clutch.  Total bleeding time about
five minutes, and full clutch travel first time.  In hindsight, I needn't
even have removed the cap off the Gunsons tube.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)