Steering column UJ

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering column UJ
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:23:03 +1000
Hi all,

I have another problem. <G> Went to to my parts supplier on Friday, and he
identified a problem in my Steering column UJ. Anyway, I've removed the yoke
assembly, can someone give me some tips on removing the UJ from the yokes? I
read the Workshop manual, but good grief, this sounds complex. Is this a job
for a pro? My part supplier said it was easy... hmmmmmm! The circlips are
frozen in place, releasing agent has done nothing.

I also found that the two column bushings are toast, and probably part of
the steering vibration I feel, so these will be replaced. I also found out
that the rack and pinion is supposed to be filled with 80/90 weight gear oil
and not grease - never looked at it b4 now. Funny that the grease nipple and
rack was full of, yeah, grease. Hmm. Obviously previous Mechanics had been
putting grease in there.

I'm still investigating this problem I have with the wheels. Will report
back on that, and with more info on the thermostat/sleeve issue. Another
Email to follow. <G>

Cheers,
Neil.