Re: Steering column UJ

To: "John Walker" <john@rmartin.net>, "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>,
Subject: Re: Steering column UJ
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 12:08:24 -0400
be careful with the term 'fill the boots'

I believe you are suppose to ... by the book....
stand the rack up on end and pour about 1 pint of 80/90 wt oil in the rack
then install the last boot and clamps.

I cheated. I wasn't going to pull the rack of the car just to fill it after
replacing
the tie rod ends and installing new boots.
I got myself a large gauge needle (grease gun needle tip)
stuffed it in the end of a hose. stuffed the hose on the nipple on the gear oil
bottle
and stabbed the needle THROUGH the rubber boot up next to the rack
on top of the boot.
Squeezed in the appropriate amount of oil...then plugged the hole I had just
made
with a dab of rtv (after cleaning the rubber very VERY well to get it to stick)

Paul Tegler
1973 BGT - Daily Driver
Rat - 1980 Spitfire  w/  O/D - in re-hab
Punkin' - 1978 Spitfire - in Superb Shape!
email: wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com