Re: Steering column UJ

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering column UJ
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:21:18 +1000
Paul,

> old cups that were still a snug fit in the yoke.  He replaced the UJ.

Hmm, well I finally got mine apart by using a large vice, and two sockets on
advice from someone not on the list.

I removed the circlips, using circlip pliers. Really the only way to do it.
A bargain at $7.00aud. :) I then put a small socket on the end I wanted to
push, and a large one on the other side to 'catch' the cup coming out.
According to the book, the cup should just be able to be pulled out using
your hands! HAH! Mine was so stuck, after hours of trying to do it nicely, I
put the cup that was poking out into the vice, locked it up, and turned the
yoke around till the cup 'wound' it's way out. Worked ok, but oh, what a
frustrating task! I don't want to think about reassembly but it looks easier
than disassembly!!

As for the frozen studs, I tried penetrant, heat & penetrant, and finally a
cam type stud remover. No luck at all. They wouldn't budge. 40yrs of rust I
guess. Anyway, I now have three sheared off studs. So I think at this point
I'll give up, remove the head, have them removed professionally, and while
I'm at it get the seats converted so I can use unleaded. They are real bad
anyway.

It never, ever ends! I still have this shaking issue as well. *sigh* I
suppose 1/2 a win (UJ) is better than none! <G>

Cheers,
Neil.