Re: ARGH those Suburbans

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: ARGH those Suburbans
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:38:55 -0400
We have a minivan; before we got it I swore I'd never drive one.  I figured
they drove like the old Chevy vans and just had suburbia written all over
them.  But I had the chance to get one from a relative (who bought an SUV!
:) and changed my mind the instant I drove it.  Very comfy, and tons of room.

There are obviously people who can justify SUVs.  I don't own one, but it
would help, since I travel in heavy snowstorms 4 months a year, but I do
just fine with front wheel drive, and we just got a Saab, which is my
preferred snow vehicle anyway.

I think a lot of people feel intimidated in heavy traffic, and vulnerable,
and SUVs make it seem like you're driving a safe comfy truck.  And they're
more exotic than the more practical minivan alternative (which has more
interior room, I might point out).  The percentage of people who truly need
an SUV is probably extremely small, as you point out.  The majority would
do better just having decent tires and learning how to drive in snow.

If anything, I think they're more dangerous, because people who don't know
how to drive in inclement weather (snow, freezing rain) feel invulnerable
in their SUV and drive most dangerously, taking risks figuring "it's okay -
I have a 4WD SUV!".  In fact, I recall an SUV that flipped over because it
hit a guardrail, but the guardrail was really designed for cars, so instead
of deflecting the bumber, the tires hit it (the SUV bumper was too high),
forcing the SUV up like on a ramp, and it flipped.  Had it been a regular
car it would have been okay.

The worse is that it feeds on itself.  I would prefer a van or SUV in
heavier traffic now, since I want to feel safe against all the other
Supermen/persons in SUVs out there.  For now I take the Saab, but you can
see how it becomes self-perpetuating.

But these commercials of the SUVs climbing the mountains are for the
birds... going from the garage to the office is more like it.

- Tab