Re: Clutch use (was throw out bearing)

To: ninab@scoresheet.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch use (was throw out bearing)
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:50:57 EDT
In a message dated 10/19/99 12:05:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ninab@scoresheet.com writes:

<< I have a driving question to go with this.  Sitting in commute traffic to
 San Francisco every morning, how does one optimize for minimum clutch wear?
 Sometimes it's just in and out with the clutch, or ooze forward a little
 then stop again.  I wouldn't mind hearing how other people do commutes in
 standstill traffic, so that I can learn something new.  Nina >>

The best way is to try to always point the car downhill.  That minimizes
clutch wear, but increases brake wear.  Brakes are easier to fix than
clutches.

All seriousness aside, try not to "ooze" forward.  Stop the car, foot on
brake not clutch, and when you have a car length or two, move up.  Don't feel
obligated to move a few feet at a time.  You won't get there any faster, and
the heck with the guy behind you.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget