drill-resistant weld

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: drill-resistant weld
From: abadeker@tribune.com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:59:12 -0500
     Listers:
     After the crazy itinerant welder stopped by and welded shut the
     stripped stud holes on my A's front shock mount (not the job I hired
     him for, but never mind), I've been trying to drill them out and retap
     them. One I succeeded with, starting small and working my way up to
     5/16. But the second has me stopped: I got a 1/4-inch cobalt bit
     through, but can't step up to a 5/16th, surprisingly; it went in about
     1/16 inch and just sits there, spinning and no doubt making the whole
     problem worse by heat-treating the already very hard metal. I bought
     another 5/16 cobalt bit, thinking I had dulled the other, but no soap.
     I don't have a torch (aside from propane) to anneal the area, even if
     that would work. I can't get at it from underneath; it's the inboard
     hole and is blocked by the rest of the frame. I'm thinking of slipping
     a narrow cold chisel down onto the `collar' created by the shallow
     penetration of the 5/16th bit and giving a tap, in hopes of creating a
     ridge or chip for the bit to get hold of.
     Any better suggestions?
     Thanks,
     Andy Badeker
     '60 coupe