re: drill-resistant weld

To: badeker@tribune.com
Subject: re: drill-resistant weld
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 16:30:31 -0500 (EST)
I had a the same problem on the exhaust manifold flange on my 'B.  Of the
four holes, I was only able to drill and tap two of them.  After trying all
kinds of drill bits, having the flange annealed, and visiting a few machine
shops, I finally took it to a shop where they punched the holes out with a
plasma cutter and welded the studs in place.  Apparently, the high nickel
content of the manifold makes the weld incredibly hard in spots, and almost
nothing will cut it.  I hope you have better luck.

Calvin K.