Re: drill-resistant weld

To: abadeker@tribune.com
Subject: Re: drill-resistant weld
From: Jim <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:28:52 -0400
Nasty, nasty, nasty.

I hope someone comes to your aid. I had a situation like this occur in our
prototype machine shop. As the work was being bored for tapping, our continuos
oil spray was apparently hardening it. The tap went in maybe 1/2", began to get
very tight, finally seized and snapped when we tried to remove it. Had to junk
the whole thing and start over.

I have a friend who is a tool and die maker at FoMoCo, a very skilled welder, a
great no-plastic body man, and of course an MG nut. He is not on the net, so if
you don't get some real help right-quick, send a note to me and I'll ask him
for some advise. He doesn't always like to share what he knows, and that is
unfortunate because he knows a lot.

If you encounter stripped threads again, be advised thread repair kits are
pretty inexpensive especially compared to this.

Jim