Re: drill-resistant weld

To: badeker@tribune.com
Subject: Re: drill-resistant weld
From: Arnold Molloy <a.j.molloy@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:24:36 -0400
You might want to try an something told to me by an old gunsmith. His method of
spot annealing should allow you to drill out hardened weld, etc., etc.  (All
caveats apply).
I have used this method over the years,  (50 or so) and have had MOSTLY good
results in removing broken taps and even a few "Easy Outs" "Now that's an
oxymoron"

Get the carbon rod out of a "D" cell,  sharpen the tip down to a drill point.
You will hook the carbon to the positive side of your car battery, (I use
jumper cables) and the negative side to whatever you want to anneal. BE SURE
THE CARBON IS IN PLACE BEFORE THE BATTERY IS CONNECTED. Leave in place until
the point turns cherry red, remove the battery and let air cool.
This should result in a thorough annealing of the part and easily drilled.

Good Luck
Arnie Molloy 53 TD