RE: Roller throw out bearing

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Roller throw out bearing
From: "Don Collins" <decolins@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 00:03:10 -0500
Well this is a very good time for this thread. About 2 weeks ago my B
started having some vibration when ever the clutch was pushed in. Deciding
it was time to get it home I took off and the next gear change the clutch
went to the floor, major grinding sounds, and smoke coming out from under
the car. I was able to place the car in 1st to get going w/out using the
clutch and then high speed shifted it to 3rd and ran in 3rd o/d to get it
home (no slippage in the clutch when I accelerated. Engine was running
fine). I will be pulling the engine in about 2 weeks after I move into my
new house to see what happened. This is a Roller T.O. Bearing that was
replaced in 1995. If this was the cause then looks like it will be back to
the stock T.O. bearing. Hard to say but it has only been 4 years and under
15K miles.

Don Collins
70B
70BGT

With carbon T/O I have always gotten 75K (or more) on a clutch.  Many years
ago I put in a Borg and Beck roller in.
At about 35K it started to make a small noise when the clutch pedal was
depressed.  At about 50 I pulled it apart to inspect. (noise was sometimes
worse, sometimes less.)
The roller part of the bearing was gone.  Just some metal rings that kinda
rattled around the input shaft when in contact with the pressure plate.
Complete and total failure of the bearing.
Went back to carbon, for me they last just about as long as the clutch disk.
$.02
Rick Ewald