Re: Roller throw out bearing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roller throw out bearing
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:01:33 -0600
This thread has gone on for a day or two and I have followed with interest.
Several people have said that a rpm drop is normal when the clutch is
depressed. Maybe so but I have some doubts.

I noticed this same symtom with my 67 BGT - it typically drops about 200
rpm with the clutch depressed. No major deal because I run my idle at 1000
rpm where it is smooth. So a drop to 800 is only a curiosity.

However, my 71 BGT has not shown this problem that I recall. I have owned
and driven it for 16 years now. So when I bought the 67 last March, I
thought the rpm drop signified something.  Maybe not?

And I don't know about roller throw out bearings. I replaced the throw out
bearing on the 71 with a standard bearing about two years ago. The 67 is
using whatever was put in it in the late 80's - the car had been idled
since '92 and an oil change sticker indicated it was driven about 2000
miles between 1987-1992. I've put on about 700 miles on the 67 BGT since I
got it and it is running quite well to this point - except for the rpm drop
and a slight metallic ping which indicates that I should replace the
u-joints, probably this weekend.

So any other thoughts on the normalcy of the rpm drop? For now, I'll just
figure it is normal.

David