RE: Fingertight Malcolm

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: RE: Fingertight Malcolm
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 08:54:53 -0700
Paul:

        This is really common.  The driveshaft flange has a rib on the flat
that mates with the diff flange.  It is really easy to tighten the flange
bolts with this rib scewed slightly.  When torque is applied the flange
centers, the rib docks and all the bolts are loose.  Been there, done that.

        I like the term "Fingertight Malcolm".  We had one of those last
week.  My lady drove a borrowed Moggie home, the last few miles using a
flashlight to light the road.  6.30 in the next morning I grumpily rolled
out of bed to try to find the problem.  After I figured there was no
charging going on, she opened the hood and whacked the alternator with a
hammer.  You can tell she has experience with Morgan mechanicals.  She
figured the brushes may not be seated.  (Or she was just frustrated).  The
little Japanese alternator swung merrily on it's finger tight mountings.
Problem found.

Kelvin.